How To Draw And Paint Noses And Mouths

For the longest time I have told everyone that I don’t teach drawing. This was due to the fact that I assumed everyone would want very detailed realistic drawing lessons from me. But over the last few years I have realized that really people want to learn how to draw the more whimsy ‘journal girl’ faces that I create.

I also constantly get the question of how much drawing do I teach in my Painted Faces I class.

So I decided instead of trying to explain what I teach in that class… and to what level I teach drawing I decided to just release one of the face tutorials from that class. This way you can see for yourself. And if you struggle with noses or mouths then you get the bonus of this free instruction.

This is a great example of the type of teaching you receive in all of my classes. And of how I teach you.

Noses and Mouths Parts 1 & 2 from Painted Faces I:

Video Part 1:

Video Part 2:

Happy Creating!
~ Christy

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

10 comments for “How To Draw And Paint Noses And Mouths

1. May 29, 2013 at 9:16 pm

You are a very talented artist. I really admire you for your dedication. You are a great teacher. I love your passion and dedication for all you do. I am finishing two workshop. In my list, you are the next. I want faces 1, I want to learn how to mix skin colors. I am not good with acrylics at all. Thanks for your kindness. Your students love you. I want to be one. Thanks for sharing. Where did you get all that energy? You are very proactive. Wow!

2. domy40
    May 30, 2013 at 6:54 am

Thanks for sharing.

3. May 30, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Thanks for sharing!!

4. dawn myler
    May 31, 2013 at 1:52 pm

i really enjoyed these videos,thankyou christy

5. Ian
    June 2, 2013 at 4:08 am

Hi, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just curious if
    you get a lot of spam remarks? If so how do
    you prevent it, any plugin or anything you can
    recommend? I get so much lately it’s driving me insane so any help is very much appreciated.

• Gulfsprite
      June 2, 2013 at 11:01 am

Hi Ian,
      Thank you for commenting. Yes, I get loads of spam. I run a self-hosted WordPress blog and I run the Akismet spam tool. It is the best spam tool I have ever used. I also run comments on moderation for the first two times someone comments. If I approve that person both times then the third time they comment it doesn’t moderate them. And for the very few spam that get through Akismet I still catch them with the moderation and mark them as spam. Akismet works based on crowd sourcing. Akismet looks at all of the comments and commentors that are marked as spam, from all of the users in the network, and uses that information to filter spam across the entire network. Best use of crowd sourcing I have ever seen. I get to use the service for free, but I believe the cost is quite affordable considering the thousands of spam they catch for you daily. I hope this helps!
      ~ Christy

6. Kandy Gordecki
    June 4, 2013 at 5:47 pm

That was great, thank you soooo much!

7. Denise Spillane
    July 11, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Thank you, as always, you are generous in sharing your knowledge and technique. I learned so much here. Can’t wait to take faces.

8. Nan
    May 6, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Hi Christy. I am new to your website and joined after enjoying several of your you tube demonstrations. I want to take both your painted faces courses but the 2nd one is the one I want to take first because I am especially interested in the mixed media & glazing instruction and the 16-page journal with fold-outs. I am comfortable with acrylics and other art mediums. Do you think taking the 2nd course first is problematic in any way?

• Gulfsprite
      May 8, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Hi Nan,
      If you are familiar with painting then taking PF2 first is totally doable. Have fun!
      ~ Christy